Thursday, November 25, 2010

How do you change brake pads on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

I'm looking to save money on getting my brake pads changed by doing them myself. I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!How do you change brake pads on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee?I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited and have not had any problem with changing the pads. Now to clear up some of the concerns that were mentioned....



The first thing you should do is buy a Haynes repair manual for your Jeep...I think they are like $15. Take it home and read the section on the brakes and it will explain what to look for, how to check and how to replace them. If you are comfortable doing all these things then I would say you won't have a problem. The Grand Cherokee has 4 wheel disc brakes and these are about the easiest things on the jeep to change.



This is in the manual but when you are changing the brake pads take the rotors into a auto shop and have them turn the rotors..the Grand Cherokee is notorious for warped rotors.



I will also give a word of caution...I would not recommend changing the parking brake shoes, these are not disc brakes and require special tools and are actually a PITA to get to. But that is just my opinion. Again it is in the repair manual and you can decide for yourself.



Also check out NAGCA.com and jeepsunlimited.com/forum for lots of info and help on anything related to your jeepHow do you change brake pads on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee?even thou one does not need a license to chage brakes you should not,...no offence but if you have to ask then you should not be changing them yourself, brakes are not to be trated as a simple oil change....but i dont know your level of expertise...im in automotive technology and we were not allowed to touch anyones breaks until we took a semesters courseHow do you change brake pads on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee?Just like any other car. you just have to determine if it disc or drum. after that search the rest online. it's easyHow do you change brake pads on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee?Normally I would say get a manual, changing pads is a fairly easy job. But I'm not going to say that. Your Jeep is 12 years old. I would not be surprised if the calipers and rotors need to be replaced. I'm not saying that just because the car is 12 years old they need to be replaced. But it should be looked at by a professional. At least have a shop look at it, and give you an estimate. That will tell you what parts need to be changed. Then you can decide if you want to do the job yourself or not. Brakes are the most important system on your vehicle. If they are not repaired correctly it could put your life as well as anyone else on the road around you, in jeopardy.