Thursday, November 25, 2010

Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and just started to hear the grind sound. I have never changed brake pads before and am a very inexperienced mechanic. I did some quick reading online and am considering tackling the job myself. What is the cost of having a pro change the pads compared to doing it myself? Is it worth it?Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?If you get a manual like Haynes so you have some help with this it can be a very easy job. The standard job requires removing the tire, removing one of the bolts holding the caliper, compress the piston with a C-clamp using the old brake pad, then install the new pads and put it back together. It's a simple job that sounds a little harder than it is, just figure what you will have to pay a shop and what it will cost you then decide if it's worth your time. Everyone's time has a different value.



ADD: If you have to pull the rotor you just remove the other bolt holding the caliper and hang the caliper by a wire or piece of rope so there is no tension on the brakeline. The rotor will just slide off.Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?At least $200 for someone else to do it. You can do it for about $60. If you need to turn the rotors which you do if they were grinding, you can take them down to napa and have them done for $12 a piece or they will charge you an extra $100 at a shop per wheel. They usually get you out for about $3-400 for what you can do for $60-100 yourself. I highly recomend doing it yourself. Pick up a hayne's manual for some pointers.Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?well for one if ur in the rivets then you will need the rotors turned if they can be or buy new ones.two buy a book with instructions to help you along the first time and three only take one side off at a time so you can see how to put it back together in case you for get how it goes back together.also make sure to have the rite tools when you start and a big c-clamp to compress the caliper with and do it slowly.Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?You save a lot of money doing them yourself and you get to choose the brake pads that you want. It doesn't take too long and is not too hard either. Like the answer above, 200$ for the shop to do it, and 60$ to do it yourself (for all 4 brake pads).Is it worth it to change the brake pads myself?in my opinion yes

my father never had the concept of maintanance so i have by my self with no help droped in a new engine replaced a broken axle changed my own oil rimed my own tires and countless modifications.





in short if you know how to go it yourself then do so it saves a lot of money in labor costs