Friday, September 23, 2011

Do I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?

My husband has received a quote by a repair shop to replace the brake pads, plus the calipers and possibly rotating the disks, if necessary...of $250. I've changed my own brake pads before at a significantly less cost. I'm wondering, is it worth paying that much? The brakes are in good condition, I have a chevy malibu 2005. Should I just change them on my own?Do I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?On most modern cars, changing brake pads involves removing two bolts per caliper, swinging it out of the way, and replacing old pads with new.



Before you can put the caliper back over new pads, the piston needs to be pushed back in.



Assuming that pad replacement is all you need, you should just do it yourself.



Buy a Haynes manual for your car, you might need to get a tool to push the piston in, but it will be cheaper than the garage.



Read the whole procedure before you begin, make sure you have everything you need on hand, and save $200.



Good luckDo I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?Hi,

Get at it , your good to go!Do I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?Go do it yourself and save some money ! My husband does his when his need doing :o)Do I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?Why take it in when you can save the money.

The only time you really need to take it in is when the rotors need to be turned.Do I really need to take my car to a shop to have the brake pads changed?ok if you just need your pads and rotors changed thats easy enough to do on your own and can probably be done for $75.00 but the calipers need to be changed too? Why? Especially in a 05, that doesn't sound right to me. Anything you can do yourself will just save you money, so if you can do it, then go for it.